20:00 Tuesday, 21 April 2020
German labor law is confusing as is, but management’s chaotic handling of the pandemic only exacerbates the confusion, particularly for newly arrived Berliners. The number of questions only keeps growing.
- Is there a right to work from home if I don’t feel safe at work anymore?
- Can the employer make me work from home against my will?
- How are sick leave and holiday leave handled now?
- What does “Kurzarbeit” mean? How does it work? Can the employer just send me home and stop paying me? -
- Do I have to apply for Kurzarbeitergeld myself or does the employer have to do this for me?
- How does my social security (especially my foreign/German health care) work now?
- Is this a good time to elect a works council at work? Is it even possible now?
The presentation will take an hour, with an additional hour for questions and answers.
Critical Workers (CW) is a political group formed by migrant and non-migrant workers to support, foster and connect workers’ political and economic struggles inside and outside the workplace.
Berlin Tech Workers Coalition is part of a global movement to organise rank and file workers in the tech industry through education, labour organising and activism. Berlin TWC co-founded Berlin VS Amazon.
How to participate
Download Zoom or telephone in.
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/meeting/96665470961
Meeting ID: 966 6547 0961 Tap your preferred telephone country to call in: Germany
The event will be held over Zoom, a video conferencing platform. You can use Zoom with your desktop, laptop, or mobile device.
You need an internet connection and speakers to listen, and a microphone (and optionally camera) to participate. You can also join the conversation via the (written) chat. There is also an option to call in using your phone line for audio-only participation by clicking here.
There will be a brief presentation with static slides, but most of the event will be audio-based discussion in English.
If you would like to know more, check out Zoom’s documentation on their accessibility features or reach out to us at email@example.com.